Sunday, November 6, 2022
Time: 1:00-5:00 PM
W-1: Water Treatment 101
Dennis McBride, Burns & McDonnell, Kansas City, MO
This workshop is a great introductory course covering many of the basic concepts of industrial water treatment. It will address unit operations (clarification, filtration, lime/soda ash softening, iron and manganese removal, membrane filters, and roughing demineralizers) used in water preparation for industry with emphasis on power, chemical industry, and refineries. It includes treatment of cooling water systems as well as boiler water makeup. Wastewater generated by these unit operations and their treatment and disposal will be discussed. Basic water chemistry requirements for low, medium, and high pressure boilers will also be discussed.
W-2: Ion Exchange Technology and Practical Operating Practices
Wayne Bernahl, W. Bernahl Enterprises, Elmhurst, IL
Ion exchange technology is not new yet most industrial ion exchange systems do not operate at top efficiency. Ion exchange technology is often not well understood by operating personnel.
The participant of this workshop will:
- Better understand basic ion exchange equipment, operations, and resins used for water treatment operations
- Better understand what can go wrong with ion exchange systems
- Develop a logical troubleshooting approach to discover and correct operating problems.
W-3: Refinery Wastewater Treatment Concepts
Bridget Finnegan, P.E., CDT, ENV SP, GHD, Allison Park, PA
Our Workshop Objective is to educate engineers and specialists on basic refinery wastewater treatment concepts. Outcomes will enable attendees to:
- Understand common refinery wastewater composition and treatment goals.
- Learn about conventional and advanced processes used to treat refinery wastewater.
- Understand the importance of data collection and interpretation for operations and compliance.
Skills from this workshop will enable attendees to improve their abilities to solve challenging wastewater treatment challenges in the refining sector.
W-4: Holostic Approach to Water Treatment
Jasbir Gill, Water Energy Solutions Inc., Naperville, IL
Teaching the Art and Science of water treatment in light of balancing water saving, energy consumption , and its impact on environment. Some commercial water treaters focus on just water savings, either recovering water (sometimes using very intensive energy use technologies to recover waste-water) or lowering pH. How much is the actual cost in terms of dollars and environmental.