The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the Engineers Society of Western PA (ESWP) are pleased to announce the 2024 Keystone Awards for brownfield redevelopment.
The Keystone Awards will recognize the impressive work being done in communities across the Commonwealth to bring new life to former industry sites. The five main award categories are:
- A Place Called Home – best place to live
- The 9 to 5 – best place to work
- Making Bank – economic impact
- What Was Old Is New Again – adaptive reuse
- What a Mess – environmental restoration or improvement
The top three projects in each category will also be considered for the People’s Choice Award. The finalists will have the opportunity to submit a poster showcasing their project, which will be displayed during the conference. Attendees will have the opportunity to vote for one of these projects for the People’s Choice Award which will be announced during the awards ceremony on the final day of the conference.
Winning projects will receive a commemorative plaque or trophy and DEP will produce a short video promoting their project.
Projects must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Must be located in Pennsylvania
- Must have been impacted by environmental contamination
- Must be enrolled in or have completed the Land Recycling Program
- Must be substantially redeveloped between January 2019 and the present
- Must have a positive impact on the environment, community, or economy
- Applicant must be in attendance to accept the award
Submissions are due by
March 1, 2024 Extended to March 8!