The Engineers’ Society of Western Pennsylvania has announced the recipients for our 2022 Awards.
For the Projects of the Year, the winners are, per category:
- Transportation Category: The Southern Beltway
- Water and Wastewater Category: M29 Overflow
- Commercial Category: 1600 Smallman Street
- Emergency Replacement Category: the Fern Hollow bridge
For the Recipients of the Individual Awards, we recognize:
- Engineer of the Year: Stephen Shanley, Allegheny County DPW
- Young Engineer of the Year: Michael Szurley, Pennsylvania DOT
- Higher Educator of the Year: Dr. Joseph Samosky, PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- STEM Educator of the Year: Thomas Brambley, PACyber Charter School
Also, as previously announced, the recipient of the 2023 William Metcalf Award for Lifetime Achievement has been awarded to George E. Mezey!
Congratulations go out to all of the Award Recipients!
For additional information or to make reservations for the banquet visit our annual events page.
The December meeting of the ESWP Board of Directors
was held on Thursday, December 16. President Tammi Halapin congratulated outgoing board members, including Chris Hill, Wayne Johnson, Suresh Ramanathan, George Robinson, Robert Roell, and Tom Woodrow. Thank you all for your years of service on the ESWP Board! You will be missed!
Very informative program presented at the ESWP by Alcosan’s Kim Kennedy and Mike Lichte, pictured with Moderator Steve Shanley, left.
Special thanks to Guest bartenders Barry and Jamie at the ESWP Happy Hour!
The International Water Conference is pleased to announce the 2022 Awards, to be presented at the IWC, November 6-10, 2022 in Orlando, FL.
- 2022 IWC Award of Merit presented to Bradley Buecker, ChemTreat (retired)
- 2021 First Time Presenter Award presented to Derek Mandel for IWC 21-24 99% Recovery RO Membrane System Demo Plant Results: Cooling Tower Blowdown
- 2021 Best Overall Paper Award presented to Rich Franks for IWC 21-21: Benefits of Operating the First Membrane Systems Utilizing New Thin-Membrane Technology
- 2021 Paul C. Cohen Award presented to Mahesh Budhathoki, Ph.D. for IWC 21-25: Amine-based Filmer Chemistry for Boilers with Improved Water Solubility and Performance
Congratulations to all of these Award Recipients!
ESWP’s 39th annual International Bridge Conference was held over July 17 to the 20th at the David L Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh PA. Nearly 1,100 attendees participated in the three-day event! Attendees were able to earn up to 18 Continuing Ed credits for their Professional Engineer licensure requirements. We celebrated a “sold out” Exhibit Hall that offered extended learning opportunities! One Day 1, the Opening Keynote session was attended by over 500 attendees who heard from experts on national bridge Issues. Attendees were also able to take part in the IBC annual awards dinner, the IBC boat cruise, and a walking tour looking at the Sister Bridges of Pittsburgh. We are already looking forward to the 2023 IBC has the Call for Papers is open!
ESWP held our “Happy Hour Trivia Night” on June 22 with more than 70 people in attendance! Great food and fun games with trivia offered by JMT’s Mallory Griffin. Thanks to our sponsors: Arcadis, Collective Efforts, and JMT. Look for more Trivia Nights this fall!
Special thanks to Carson Carney, P.E., of Advanced Robotics Construction, Inc. for his webinar presentation today on the use of robots in the construction industry! We had a great turnout with a lot of good questions and answers for a very informative session. Next up, Thursday, June 9 is the ‘Best of the IWC’ on Zero Liquid Discharge. Look for more upcoming ESWP continuing education events to fill your continuing education needs!
Jonathan Shimko has joined Michael Baker International’s Pittsburgh Office as Vice President and Practice Executive – Water.
In this role, Jonathan is responsible for managing the region’s water/wastewater, surface water and water quality initiatives, coordinating strategic pursuits, client engagement and facilitating the successful completion of complex programs and projects covering the entire spectrum of the water cycle. Jonathan is a member of the IWC Executive Committee.
Happy Birthday to ESWP President, Tammi Halapin!